Thursday, 27 November 2014
- Stagecoach and Virgin win East Coast mainline rail franchiseA joint venture between Stagecoach and Virgin has won the franchise to run the East Coast mainline rail route.
- Bus maker wins major order in CanadaBus maker Alexander Dennis Limited is to set up a new manufacturing plant in Canada after winning an order for up to 400 vehicles.
- Translink 'committed' to rail lineAn hourly train service from Londonderry to Belfast is a 'priority', says Translink.
- More Glasgow bus gates plannedGlasgow City Council has identified two new locations for controversial bus gates and the introduction of avenues in the city centre.
- CompaniesStagecoach secures East Coast rail franchisePlanning a train journey from London to Scotland by train? Then you'll need to look no further than Stagecoach and Virgin in the future. The Perth-based transport group and its partner have seen off competition from rival FirstGroup and a consortium led by
- Virgin Trains and Stagecoach to run East Coast main lineA consortium involving Virgin Trains and Stagecoach will run the East Coast main line franchise from next year.
- Festive warning over lorry driver shortage A LORRY driver shortage could affect deliveries for Christmas, a haulage organisation has warned.
- Stagecoach and Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Trains to run East Coast Main LineHowever, the business in charge of the East Coast line, Inter City Railways, will be 90pc owned by Stagecoach and the remainder by Virgin. Virgin Rail Group, the joint business that operates the West Coast Line, is 51pc owned by Sir Richard Branson
- Worst areas for drink driving revealed in nationwide surveyWales and Scotland fair badly while London, Bradford and Liverpool do well in a major survey exposing the worst and best places for drink and drug driving offences
- Bounce to work on the world's longest open air trampolineCommuters may soon be able to get to work on the world's longest urban trampoline
- East Coast rail franchise chosenA consortium involving Sir Richard Branson's train company Virgin Trains has been chosen to run the East Coast main line franchise from next year
- Work carried out in Belfast has contributed to one of the biggest changes in aerospace history, according to Bombardier AerospaceLaurent Beaudoin, chairman of the board of the French-Canadian company, said the biggest shift in the industry in recent decades has been the introduction of composite materials in plane manufacture.
- Lorry hits Erdington railway bridge causing rush hour travel chaos The†vehicle crashed into a bridge on Summer Road in Erdington at around 3.20pm and got stuck. The road was blocked between Machin Road and South Road
- Tata will look abroad if JLR pay row goes on, union told Lord Bhattacharyya says car giant's† owner 'will not hesitate' to invest overseas if bitter wage dispute drags on
London Evening Standard
- The only way is Essex: super-fast Crossrail links to some of the cheapest homes commuters can buy Essex, which has some of the best-value homes commuters can buy, is set to gain a super-fast Crossrail link to the City, West End and Heathrow.
Manchester Evening News
- Metrolink hauls eight under-18s before courts for dodging tram fares - and hits them with £1,700 in finesCompany says convictions are part of a bigger crackdown, including talks in schools on how a criminal conviction can jeopardise future success
Newcastle Evening Chronicle
- Rail Minister to visit Newcastle as East Coast takeover deal imminent Markets suggest that French consortium set to take over the running of the popular line from Edinburgh to London
- £214m cycle plan in wake of Tour de FranceA £214 MILLION funding package to make cycling safer and more popular following the success of this yearís Tour de France stages in Yorkshire has been announced by Nick Clegg.
Carlisle News & Star
- Cumbria worst county in north west for rural bus cuts, says watchdog A public transport watchdog has labelled Cumbria the worst county in the north west of England for rural bus cuts.
Other Regional Press
- Preston Bus Btation to feature in artist‚Äôs filmPreston Bus Station is to get a starring role in a new film by an up and coming artist.
- Seven new AccessBuses for Kirklees and CalderdaleWest Yorkishire Combined Authority has unveiled new AccessBuses for people who have difficulty using conventional buses
Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
- New strategy for trains in south and westA Network Rail and South West Trains alliance has revealed a new blueprint, the Wessex Route Plan, to tackle overcrowding and delays on train services from Waterloo to the south and west of England. These include running double-decker trains along the routes, sections of which have been described as some of the most congested in the UK by the operators. Furthermore, growth in demand for main line services is expected to rise by 40 per cent over the next 30 years. Other proposals involve new high-speed trains, flyovers at Woking and Basingstoke, electrification of the Waterloo to Salisbury line...
- Stagecoach, Virgin win East Coast franchiseA PARTNERSHIP of Stagecoach and Virgin Trains has been awarded the East Coast franchise, after almost a year of consideration by the Department for Transport.
- New Alitalia board to be led by former Ferrari chairman MontezemoloAlitalia and Etihad Airways have finalized the board of directors for the ‚Äúnew‚ÄĚ Alitalia, with former Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo serving as non-executive chairman. read more
- Government plans to tighten aviation securityAirlines refusing to comply with new rules could be barred from UK
- Flybe secures SAS flights contractUK-based airline will provide short-haul services for Scandinavian carrier
- UK long-haul fares set to rise in 2015American Express also predicts higher hotel rates across the country
- Qatar Airways to increase Manchester flightsGulf airline continues to add frequencies to UK airports
Other News Sources
- Cambridge MP Julian Huppert has his say in Parkside bus stop battle Cambridge MP Julian Huppert has spoken out over the fight to stop the Parkside bus stop becoming a permanent fixture in the city.
- Use your mobile to pay for parking A new trial to encourage the use of mobile phone payment for parking could spell the beginning of the end of the humble parking meter.
- airberlin transports Christmas trees for freeThis year again, guests flying with airberlin on all international routes will be permitted to carry a Christmas tree at no extra charge. The tree can be up to two metres in length and must be...
- New runway technology at Newcastle AirportNewcastle International Airport is the first airport in the UK to achieve Category III status for the use of forward scatter meter runway visual range equipment. Airport landing equipment is...
- Majority of UK bookings now online - HRGTMC has revealed that 53 per cent of UK transactions are being self-booked
A joint venture between Stagecoach and Virgin has won the franchise to run the East Coast mainline rail route.
A public transport watchdog has labelled Cumbria the worst county in the north west of England for rural bus cuts.
- Wednesday, 26 November 2014
- Tuesday, 25 November 2014
- Monday, 24 November 2014
- Sunday, 23 November 2014
- Saturday, 22 November 2014
- Friday, 21 November 2014
Conferences & Expo's
- European Rail Congress - 11 Nov 2014 - London
- Developing the UK rail network - 4 Mar 2015 - London
- Good Practices for Tendering of Conventional Rail Services - 21/22 Oct 2014 - Turin
- ICE Engineering Underground Space 2015 - 18 Feb 2015 - London
- International Rail Freight Conference - 18-20 March 2015 - Prague
- International Rail Infrastructure and Technology Summit - 18-20 Feb 2015 - Barcelona
- Rail Experience - 12/13 Nov 2014 - Brussels
- Rail-Tech - 17-19 March 2015 - Netherlands
- Smart Rail - 19/20 May 2015 - Amsterdam
- Transport Asset Management 2014 - 25 Nov 2014 - London
- Britain Better Connected - Labourís Transport Policy Review
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Passenger Transport Executive Group
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport Debate 2011
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Fair Fares Now
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- Gatwick Can Be Quieter
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association
- British Ports Association
- Chamber of Shipping
- Sea and Water
- UKMPG (United Kingdom Major Ports Group)