IT was the remote Scottish railway line famously saved from the Beeching axe, but a new book on the history Far North Line has warned that plummeting passenger numbers and a
Two of Britain’s busiest airports have formed an alliance in an attempt to block plans for a third runway at Heathrow.
This is the full text of the speech given by Andy McDonald, shadow Transport Secretary, at Labour conference today.
The aviation industry is supporting a United Nations proposal to limit pollution from international flights even though the measure may eventually cost companies $24 billion annually.
Monday, 26 September 2016
- CalMac ferry runs aground in Lochmaddy harbour crashA ferry carrying 76 passengers crashes into a harbour wall and runs aground at Lochmaddy Marina in North Uist.
- AIRPORT: Expansion is not the riskAn open letter to Andrew Percy MP, Minister for the Northern Powerhouse.
- Rail author: revive Far North Line with tourist trains and local 'micro-franchise'IT was the remote Scottish railway line famously saved from the Beeching axe, but a new book on the history Far North Line has warned that plummeting passenger numbers and a
- This library has built a railway for books and it's awesomeNew York Public Library has made the library experience even more fun for children (and grownup children too!) by building a book train.
- Heathrow is not the answer, Mrs May [subscription]A larger Gatwick followed by longer-term expansion at Birmingham will be best for the country
- Airport bosses join forces to attack Heathrow ‘monopoly’ [Subscription]Two of Britain’s busiest airports have formed an alliance in an attempt to block plans for a third runway at Heathrow.
- Woman becomes world’s youngest ever commercial airline captainA British woman is believed to have become the world’s youngest commercial airline captain at just 26 years old, easyJet said.
- Due now, your rail refund: Train companies could be forced to tell delayed passengers when they are entitled to compensation
- Soaring to new heights - the 26-year-old easyJet flight captain
- All new cars vehicles in the UK will call 999 after a crash Emergency services face a surge of alerts when all cars and trucks are fitted with new technology - called eCall - which automatically calls 999 if a vehicle is involved in a crash.
- Monarch tells travellers they're not going bust after rumour begin circulating online� Budget airline Monarch was forced to deny rumours it was going bust and responded to customer enquiries on Twitter to say that the company was not in trouble.
- Rail operators could announce details about compensation to passengers on delayed services The plans are being considered after research revealed that eight out of ten do not claim. The proposals would affect passengers who are delayed by 30 minutes.
- Brit aged 26 sees her career as a pilot take off as she becomes 'world's youngest ever airline captain' Kate McWilliams flies out of Gatwick Airport with easyJet, piloting Airbus A319 and A320 planes
- "Labour will take back control of our railways” – Andy McDonald speechThis is the full text of the speech given by Andy McDonald, shadow Transport Secretary, at Labour conference today.
- Executive at owner of Southern Railway quits to take charge of HS1Dyan Crowther, who has been chief operating officer at Govia Thameslink Railway during the industrial relations and staffing problems at Southern, will be the new chief executive at HS1, the railway between St Pancras International in London and the Channel Tunnel in Kent.
- Dublin Bus and unions set for meeting in move to end disputeThe exploratory discussions will be convened at the Workplace Relations Commission on Monday.
- Monarch Airlines denies rumours of financial crisisThe UK budget carrier issued a rebuttal after its Twitter feed was inundated with customers asking if it was "going bust".
Manchester Evening News
- Emirates flying the flag for Manchester and its airport One in every 25 passengers who fly from Manchester Airport is now stepping on board an Emirates aircraft .
- Monarch Airlines insists it is 'trading well' after a weekend of speculation about its future The budget carrier, which flies to more than 30 destinations from Manchester, says it is even planning to announce new investment
The Press and Journal (Aberdeen)
- MSP to raise residents’ fears over dualling A96 with transport bossesHighlands and Islands MSP Douglas Ross will meet Scottish Government transport bosses to raise concerns Moray residents have over dualling the A96 Aberdeen to Inverness road.
- Transport chiefs accused of “hypocrisy” over roadside advertisingTransport chiefs have been accused of double standards over a deal which will allow advertising boards to be put on trunk road roundabouts.
- Variable speed limit cameras on a busy stretch of the M4 go live from todayThe enforcement has brought about renewed calls for an M4 relief road to be built
Yorkshire Evening Post
- West Yorkshire motorway is nation’s slowest Leeds and West Yorkshire are home to two of the UK’s slowest motorways.
- Virgin trains vows not to abandon BlackpoolVirgin trains insists it will not abandon Blackpool despite the forced withdrawal of the resorts only direct rail service to London.
Other Regional Press
- MP signs letter backing Heathrow expansionMP Fiona Mactaggart has co-signed a letter to Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson urging the Government to back Heathrow’s expansion.
- SNP ministers knew of spiralling Edinburgh to Glasgow rail upgrade costs for months before going publicSNP ministers knew of delays and spiralling costs on the flagship Edinburgh to Glasgow line for months before telling the public,
- John Lewis boss Andy Street 'will protect Coventry train services' if elected West Midlands mayorThe Conservative candidate in waiting was speaking during his first interview since announcing his election bid
- State ownership 'can put an end to Britain's rip-off railways' Shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald accused the Government of being more interested in "defending train companies than defending passengers" as he insisted state ownership of the railways can be successful.
- More than 1,500 people attend cycling festival FROM lessons for beginners to high-flying stunts, Tredegar House and Newport Wetland’s 2016 Family Cycling Festival was a huge success this weekend.
- Preston Bus drivers work to rule in attempt to speed up pay riseDisgruntled Preston Bus Ltd workers have decided to work to rule in an attempt to speed up pay rise negotiations.
- Lancashire police lead clamp down on middle-lane motorway driversMIDDLE-lane hoggers are the bane of motorway drivers’ lives – but Lancashire Police are miles ahead in pulling up the county’s culprits.
- "Any death on the railway is a tragedy" - More than 100 lives saved last year on a train route than runs through Dorset MORE than 100 lives were saved along a train route which runs through Dorset.
Other News Sources
- GTR appoints new Chief Operating OfficerGovia Thameslink Railway (GTR), the UK’s largest rail franchise, has appointed Nick Brown (pictured) as its new Chief Operating Officer, it was announced today (Monday 26 September).
- High-Speed Rail sees Birmingham boost London alternative talkLooking longer-term, Birmingham Airport is in a unique position as in ten years’ time it will become the UK’s only HS2 connected airport, growing the catchment into London with high-speed trains serving Birmingham from the capital in around 30 minutes.
- Can Thameslink deliver on new promises for improved rail service?Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) is consulting on what it calls the ‘biggest timetable shake-up of a generation’ across the Thameslink, Great Northern, Southern and Gatwick Express routes to facilitate the expansion of the network in 2018.
- Cycling charity hits out at driver who furiously confronted riders not using cycle lane The London Cycling Campaign has weighed in on the row over a cycle lane in Richmond Park after a driver filmed cyclists using the road instead
- Southern Rail strike: 'Southern Justice' protest to be held at Victoria station The Association of British Commuters is crowdfunding cash to bolster calls for a judicial review of the Southern Rail franchise
- Train commuters to protest against Southern crisis A GROUP of train commuters who are taking the Government to court over its handling of the Southern crisis are planning a protest.
- New contracts help Bombardier bounce back in BritainBen Field seemed somewhat out of place as he manned Bombardier Inc.’s booth at the annual convention of Britain’s Labour Party.
EIN News Subscription
- Airlines Embrace Pollution Plan That Could Cost Them $24 BillionThe aviation industry is supporting a United Nations proposal to limit pollution from international flights even though the measure may eventually cost companies $24 billion annually.
News from Europe
- Strategic Noise Mapping for the German Federal Railway AuthorityCommissioned by the German Federal Railway Authority, and under the direction of Disy Informationssysteme GmbH, the consortium of firms Disy, Pöyry and SoundPLAN are performing strategic environmental noise mapping of German rail lines up to mid-2017
- G-7 transport ministers agree to bolster railway, airline sector cooperationPrior to the conclusion of the gathering, ministers from Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States plus the European Union adopted a declaration Saturday pledging to reinforce international cooperation in creating safety regulations to promote self-driving cars.
- Sunday, 25 September 2016
- Saturday, 24 September 2016
- Friday, 23 September 2016
- Thursday, 22 September 2016
- Wednesday, 21 September 2016
- Tuesday, 20 September 2016
Conferences & Expo's
- 19th Annual conference of railway experts - 14-15 February 2017 - Germany
- Delivering major rail projects - 29 November 2016 - London
- ERTMS Education Days - 1 December 2016 - London
- Exporail 2016 - 26-28 October 2016 - Moscow
- Fixed Track Forms for High Speed - 11 October - Manchester
- Future of London Transport Strategy - 3 November 2016 - Bracknell
- HS2 Beyond Phase 1 - 12 October 2016 - London
- Innotrans - 20-23 September 2016 - Berlin
- Intelligent Rail Summit 2016 - 22-24 November 2016 - Naples
- Moblab - 12-13 October 2016 - Switzerland
- Northern Powerhouse Rail Conference - 10 November 2016 - Manchester
- Passenger Terminal Expo 2017 - 14-16 March 2017 Amsterdam
- Rail Business Awards - 23 February 2017 - London
- Rail IT World Congress - 14-15 November 2016- Amsterdam
- Rail simulation technology forum - 21-23 November 2016 - Amsterdam
- Railcon 16 - 13-14 October 2016 - Serbia
- Railtech 2017 - 28-24 March 2017 - Utrecht
- Railtex 2017 - 9-11 May 2017 - Birmingham
- Railway Brake and Friction - 14 December 2016 - Derby
- Railway condition Monitoring - 27-28 September 2016 - Birmingham
- Railway safety - 2-7 October 2016 - Paris
- Railweek - 27 June - 3 July 2016
- Rolling Stock Procurement - 15 November 2016 - London
- RVE 2016 - 6 October 2016 - Derby
- SmartMetro 2016 - 1-3 November 2016 - Copenhagen
- SmartRail USA - 25-26 October 2016 - New York
- Stephenson Conference - 25-27 April 2017 - London
- The Future of Rail - 1 December 2016 - London
- Transport-Led Development in the Midlands 2016 - 19 October 2016 - Birmingham
- World Metro Rail Congress - 25-26 April 2017 - London
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Urban Transport Group
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association