The government should not support building a third runway at Heathrow until certain environmental conditions can be met, MPs say.
Tuesday, 01 December 2015
- HS2 Crewe link: 'Sad day' for StokeNews the HS2 link from Birmingham to Crewe is being brought forward by six years is both criticised and welcomed.
- 'No signal on 750 miles of roads'More than 750 miles of road in parts of north and mid Wales have no mobile phone signal, meaning drivers cannot call for help, a report finds.
- Heathrow conditions 'must be met'The government should not support building a third runway at Heathrow until certain environmental conditions can be met, MPs say.
- VIDEO: Plane aborts landing due to 70mph windsA plane aborted its landing at Manchester Airport after winds of up to 70mph swept across the North West.
- 'Fat shaming' cards handed out on TubeCommuters on the Tube in London are being handed cards telling them they are a
- HS2 section 'to open six years early'The government has announced plans to open a section of the HS2 high-speed rail link between Birmingham and Crewe six years earlier than originally hoped for in 2027.
- New stations to boost HS2 connectivityHubs in Leeds and Crewe will enhance access for high-speed passengers
- Lufthansa rides out strikes to cut costsPay agreement with ground staff suggests management could secure deals with pilots and cabin crew
- Alstom wins €3.7bn India rail contractsLatest sign of country’s accelerating investment in overloaded and outdated network
- MPs warn on Heathrow air pollutionAirport told to prove it can expand within legal air quality limits and commit to night flight ban
- Heathrow expansion should face strict environmental conditions, say MPsGovernment urged not to sign off on third runway until airport shows it accepts key noise and emissions targetsFinal government approval for the expansion of Heathrow should be withheld until Europe’s busiest airport can demonstrate that it accepts and will comply with key environmental conditions, a parliamentary committee has concluded.MPs on the environmental audit committee have been hearing evidence on the likely carbon emissions, air quality and noise levels after the government-appointed Airports Commission recommended a third runway at Heathrow as the preferred plan for London airport ...
- Oldest Hatton Garden burglar used Freedom Pass Oyster Card to travel to heist� Brian Reader, 76, used the bus pass, which allows older people to travel for free across London, to board the 96 bus from his home in Dartford, Kent in April this year, Woolwich Crown Court was told.
- American Airlines flight attendant 'arrested after attacking other crew members in mid-air bust-up' Joanne Snow allegedly slapped a fellow flight attendant and hit a marshal on board the American Airlines flight from the US to Germany
- Midlands Connect welcomes confirmation of HS2 stations and new line New transport lobby group says it will work with the Government to make sure Midlands' wider transport network is properly connected to new HS2 stations
Bradford Telegraph & Argus
- STRIKE: Bus services between Bradford and Huddersfield disrupted as drivers stage 24-hour walk-out FIRST bus services between Huddersfield and Bradford are being affected today as 180 bus drivers at the firm's Huddersfield depot are taking part in a 24-hour strike.
London Evening Standard
- Crackdown on 'anti-social' driving in LondonTeam formed to halt bad driving habits that make London traffic much worse
- Revealed: The inner London schools where children breathe toxic airNearly one in four school children in London are being forced to breathe air so filthy that it breaches EU legal limits, a shock report warned today.
- Uber Pool: new ride-sharing service from cab giantCab giant Uber is to launch a car-sharing service this week to cut the cost of journeys.
- Commuters face travel misery at London Bridge due to 'poor rail conditions'Commuters faced travel misery at London Bridge station tonight after trains were delayed due to "poor rail conditions".
- Call to ‘see sense’ over Sheffield HS2 station after Leeds decisionA call to locate Sheffield’s new HS2 station in the city centre has been reissued - after transport chiefs decided to change the planned site in Leeds.
- Peak District tunnel between Sheffield and Manchester could be one of longest in EuropeThe longest road tunnel in Europe could be built as part of ambitious plans to speed up travel between Sheffield and Manchester.
- Fining drivers for using Cardiff's bus lanes has raised �2.2m within a year The figures come after the scheme went live on December 1, 2014, - but the council cannot say where the money is being spent
Yorkshire Evening Post
- Leeds station transformation ‘once in century’ opportunityPLANS to transform a huge area of Leeds city centre to create a rail hub for the North of England were widely welcomed today.
- Analysis: Does Leeds HS2 station announcement give Sheffield campaigners hope?Battle continues over the location of the planned South Yorkshire HS2 station.
- Leeds switch prompts fresh calls for Sheffield HS2 stationsSHEFFIELD is to press its case for a city centre high speed station after plans for Leeds station to become a major rail hub for the North were confirmed today.
Doncaster Free Post
- Airline bids to run Doncaster to London flights, via RAF baseAirline bosses want to run flights from Doncaster to London - by using a serving RAF base as an airport.
Other Regional Press
- Huddersfield bus strike: Drivers and commuters have their say - plus full list of services running today 180 employees are said by Unite to have taken part, meaning at least 18 services did not run
Bus and Coach.com
Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
- FTA urges govt to protect rail freight interestsIt is vital that reviews of the British rail industry and of railway infrastructure enhancement projects take into account the needs of freight.� This is according to the Freight Transport Association (FTA), which emphasised the fact that rail freight is a core component of the UK's international and domestic supply chains.� Responding to the publication of the Bowe Review into the planning of the Enhancements Programme for Network Rail, the FTA urged the government to consider the lessons of current enhancement schemes such as the Strategic Freight Network.� Many of these initiatives have gon...
- North West bike training provider's success reflects a growing interest in cyclingNorth West cycle training organisation BikeRight! celebrates its strongest financial year with a 2014-15 turnover of £2.6m, reflecting renewed public interest and a wider Government commitment to cycling . The limited company started life in the basement room of company directors Liz Clarke and Jo Somerset. Twelve years on BikeRight! now offers cycle training and bike maintenance courses for commuters throughout the UK. Encouraging people to cycle reduces the cost of travel and levels of pollution while improving the health and wellbeing of communities. The company has pass...
- First Bus Launch ‘NextStop’ Announcement Pilot on Leeds City ServiceFirst Bus has today launched a pilot ‘NextStop’ on-bus announcement system which could revolutionise bus travel for blind and visually impaired passengers. Launched in Leeds in partnership with Rise Digital Media, West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) and the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT), the 8-week pilot will provide audio and visual next stop information for bus passengers. The NextStop product, provided by Rise Digital Media, is a fully integrated passenger information system that has been fitted to three vehicles on the popular ‘Leedscitybu...
- Ryanair pilots agree on a five-year pay dealRyanair has struck a new five-year pay deal, spanning pilots across its network of 76 bases, and is now working to secure a cabin crew deal. read more
- Heathrow-Gatwick runway decision expected this weekMPs are likely to be in favour of expanding Heathrow
- Lufthansa avoids strike action after pay deal with 30,000 staffEmployees will receive a one-off payment of €2,250 with a 2.2 per cent rise
- Flybe: open up RAF Northolt to ease Heathrow capacity crunchGovernment's Spending Review did not include Flybe's proprosal to operate flights to five UK destinations
Other News Sources
- DB Schenker Rail orders Vectrons for ItalyITALY: On November 30 Siemens announced a contract to supply DB Schenker Rail with eight Vectron DC...
- Beijing Metro Line 16 concession signedCHINA: Beijing Municipal Government and Beijing MTR Corp signed the railway systems, operations and...
- UK's tram-train project progresses with DfT approval The UK Department for Transport (DfT) has approved plans to build the Tinsley Chord to allow the first tram-trains to run in South Yorkshire.
- Mitsubishi opens transportation systems factory in India Mitsubishi Electric's Indian subsidiary has opened a new factory for transportation systems in Bidadi, near Bengaluru, India.
- Thomson-East Coast Line The Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL) is a new mass rapid transit (MRT) rail project under construction in Singapore. Announced by Land Transport Authority (LTA) in 2014, the project is a merger of two under-construction MRTs in the city namely the Thoms…
- Funding boost for infrastructure research at Cambridge Research at the University of Cambridge to support the UK’s infrastructure and cities has received further backing in the form of two major funding initiatives.
- Bus company takes home top gongs at industry awards A BUS company has picked up a host of awards at a top industry ceremony.
- HS2: Birmingham-Crewe rail link to open six years earlyOsborne revises timetable but funding soars to �55bn
- Monday, 30 November 2015
- Sunday, 29 November 2015
- Saturday, 28 November 2015
- Friday, 27 November 2015
- Thursday, 26 November 2015
- Wednesday, 25 November 2015
Conferences & Expo's
- Cyber Security for Urban Transport Systems - 24 February 2016 - London
- ERTMS and ETCS: The Future of Railway Signalling in the UK 2016 - 22-23 March 2016 - London
- Eurasia Rail - 3-5 March 2016 - Instanbul
- European Rail Safety Conference - 26-27 January 2016 - London
- Exporail 2016 - 26-28 October 2016 - Moscow
- Infrarail - 12-14 April 2016 - London
- Innotrans - 20-23 September 2016 - Berlin
- IT Trans - 1-3 March 2016 - Germany
- LightRail - 26-27 May 2016 - London
- Metro Rail Congress - 26-27 May 2016 - London
- Modernisation of Great Western - 7 March 2016 - London
- Next Steps for UK Rail - 3 March 2016 - London
- Rail Business Awards - 25 February 2016 - London
- Rail Freight - 3 March 2016 - Grays
- Rail Industry Meetings - 16-17 March 2016 - Lille
- Rail Power - 26-27 May 2016 - London
- RailPower - 26-27 May 2016 - London
- RailTel - 26-27 May 2016 - London
- Rolling Stock & Signalling Update - 21 January 2016 - Glasgow
- Rolling Stock Fleet Maintenance - 9-10 December 2015 - London
- Smart Eurasia - 26-27 January 2016 - Istanbul
- Smart Rail Europe - 4-5 May 2016 - Amsterdam
- Speed to the West- February 2016 - Cardiff
- The Supply Chain Conference of the Railway Industry - 29 Feb - 1 March 2016 - Berlin
- Trains for a Northern Kingdom - A Fleet Strategy for Scotland - 8 February 2016 - London
- Transport Focus - 9 February 2016 - Liverpool
- Transport Ticketing - 26-28 January 2016 - London
- UK Bus Summit - 11 February 2016 - London
- UK Light Rail Conference - 27-28 July 2016 - Birmingham
- UK Transport Infrastructure Summit - 12-13 APril 2016 - London
- Urban Transport - 21-23 June 2016 - Crete
- World Metrorail Congress - 26-27 May 2016
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Passenger Transport Executive Group
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association