Theo Leggett looks at the case for expanding both Heathrow and Gatwick airports
The government is committing an additional £4 million to the Plug-In Van grant scheme extending the eligibility to larger electric vehicles.
Residents of Northumberland and Cumbria – where bus budget is now zero – decry system that takes away their vital routes
Sunday, 23 October 2016
- Severn Tunnel reopens after �10m electrification workThe Severn Tunnel reopens on Saturday after closing for six weeks for rail electrification works.
- Why not both?Theo Leggett looks at the case for expanding both Heathrow and Gatwick airports
Department for Transport
- £4 million boost to help businesses switch vans and trucks to electricThe government is committing an additional £4 million to the Plug-In Van grant scheme extending the eligibility to larger electric vehicles.
- Anger as Northumberland rural bus service shuts while big players prosperResidents of Northumberland and Cumbria – where bus budget is now zero – decry system that takes away their vital routes
- Glasgow leader demands devolution of powers from Holyrood [subscription]Glasgow needs greater devolution from the rest of Scotland, with power over health, transport and business rates, the council leader has told The Times.
- The £60,000 dream job: thousands chase chance to be a train driver [subscription]“When I grow up, I want to be a train driver.” It’s one of those childhood dreams that usually fades when the reality of adult life bites, a bit like making a fortune out of professional football, blasting into space or taking to the stage.
- ScotRail goes from bad to worse despite promises from Abellio to improveTHE crisis-hit train service has been under fire from commuters and the Sunday Mail can reveal it has failed to improve.
- Rail unions demand halt to £700m cuts to London's underground after 'bomb scare'Union chiefs now want new Chancellor Phil Hammond to reverse the cuts next month - with the RMT calling them 'an act of criminal irresponsibility'
- New Merseyrail station moves a step closer after city region bosses back schemeMaghull North station will be between Maghull and Town Green stations on the Ormskirk line
London Evening Standard
- Transport bosses under pressure after spate of deaths on notorious A23 through StreathamTransport bosses today came under pressure to improve safety on one of London's most notorious roads after a spate of deaths.
East Anglian Daily Times
- Suffolk-based transport company Turners ‘well placed’ for further growthSuffolk-based logistics company Turners (Soham) Ltd has reported increased annual revenues and profit, and says it is “well placed” for further success despite competitive market conditions.
- Westley Bridge in Bury St Edmunds to be closed for six weeks as repairs are undertakenMotorists face a six-week road closure on one of Bury St Edmunds’ busiest roads as works to repair a broken bridge enter their third year.
Reading Evening Post
- Reading Buses passengers see fare cut by 30pThe fare reduction has been made on a selection of Reading Buses routes
Other Regional Press
- Campaigners call for speed limit to be slashed on notorious road CAMPAIGNERS are launching a fresh appeal to slash the speed limit on a notorious Hampshire main road.
- New £13m railway station on Ormskirk to Liverpool line approvedWork to start next year but transport bosses "frustrated" as cost of scheme doubles
Other News Sources
- Transport for the North submits formal proposal to DfTTransport for the North (TfN) has submitted a formal proposal to the Department for Transport to become a statutory Sub-National Transport Body.
- Eighth wonderLiverpool has two Caverns. Well, for the purpose of this contrived introduction it does. One bills itself as the cradle of British pop, having claimed legendary status in the Sixties courtesy of John, Paul, Ringo and George; the other, half-a-mile across the city, has temporarily hosted the Eighth Wonder of the World in 2016 thanks to a chap called Dave. How’s that for a claim-to-fame?
- Award nomination for Xplore Dundee and Safe Zone BusXplore Dundee and the city’s Safe Zone Bus partnership have been shortlisted for a prestigious national award.
- UK DfT wants trains with public WiFi but commuters could face ransomware attacksThe DfT is offering train operators funding to implement public WiFi on trains but no mandatory cybersecurity guidelines have been imposed.
- MP urges minister to back Waterloo to Heathrow rail linkA West London Labour MP has used a House of Commons debate to urge the Government to back proposals for a direct train service between Waterloo and Heathrow Airport.
- World rail infrastucture market October 2016Brazil: A consortium of Tiisa and Comsa has been awarded a R$858�7m contract to build the second...
- World rail market October 2016Canada: KWG Resources has appointed Canarail to provide specialised professional services and data...
- Green calls to extend 20 mph to every city street THE CITY’S 20 mph zone should be extended to all off Brighton and Hove to reduce accidents and injuries, a councillor has claimed.
EIN News Subscription
- From Andy to Chris: the city’s new and (very) experienced transport leader … safety, railway management, bus/rail interchanges, … ’s transport committee, representing Railways’ chief … EU, which gave me the opportunity to see progressive transport services and best-practice cycling infrastructure in several leading European …
- Heathrow expansion will boost air quality … be delivered in accordance with EU air-quality limit law, and would have … for sustainable transport and the opportunity to introduce an airport emissions charge … that the airport’s contribution will not delay compliance with EU air quality …
- Saturday, 22 October 2016
- Friday, 21 October 2016
- Thursday, 20 October 2016
- Wednesday, 19 October 2016
- Tuesday, 18 October 2016
- Monday, 17 October 2016
Conferences & Expo's
- 19th Annual conference of railway experts - 14-15 February 2017 - Germany
- Delivering major rail projects - 29 November 2016 - London
- ERTMS Education Days - 1 December 2016 - London
- Exporail 2016 - 26-28 October 2016 - Moscow
- Fixed Track Forms for High Speed - 11 October - Manchester
- Future of London Transport Strategy - 3 November 2016 - Bracknell
- Intelligent Rail Summit 2016 - 22-24 November 2016 - Naples
- Moblab - 12-13 October 2016 - Switzerland
- Northern Powerhouse Rail Conference - 10 November 2016 - Manchester
- Passenger Terminal Expo 2017 - 14-16 March 2017 Amsterdam
- Rail Business Awards - 23 February 2017 - London
- Rail IT World Congress - 14-15 November 2016- Amsterdam
- Rail simulation technology forum - 21-23 November 2016 - Amsterdam
- Railcon 16 - 13-14 October 2016 - Serbia
- Railtech 2017 - 28-24 March 2017 - Utrecht
- Railtex 2017 - 9-11 May 2017 - Birmingham
- Railway Brake and Friction - 14 December 2016 - Derby
- Railway condition Monitoring - 27-28 September 2016 - Birmingham
- Rolling Stock Procurement - 15 November 2016 - London
- SmartMetro 2016 - 1-3 November 2016 - Copenhagen
- SmartRail USA - 25-26 October 2016 - New York
- Stephenson Conference - 25-27 April 2017 - London
- The Future of Rail - 1 December 2016 - London
- Transport-Led Development in the Midlands 2016 - 19 October 2016 - Birmingham
- World Metro Rail Congress - 25-26 April 2017 - London
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Urban Transport Group
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association