Monday, 30 March 2015
- Mid Wales train journey film launched at galleriesA film chronicling a cross-Wales railway journey from Ceredigion is being shown at galleries along the route.
- Station house reopens after makeoverA railway station house, once seen as an
- MPs press for quick decision over airport expansionNearly 60 MPs, including the leader of the Conservative backbench 1922 Committee, are pressing for a speedy decision by the next government on whether a new runway should be built at Gatwick or Heathrow Airport.
- Local shops to sell smartcard travel ticketsRail, bus and tram passengers in South Yorkshire will be able to buy selected travel tickets from their local shop from today.
- Air Canada plane crash lands and skids off runway in Halifax - videoAn Air Canada flight has crash landed in the east coast city of Halifax due to poor weather. It went off the runway injuring 23 people. The plane, carrying 133 passengers and five crew members, hit the runway hard causing the landing gear and at least one of the engines to rip from aircraft Continue reading...
- Airport expansion: Choose Heathrow or Gatwick soon, MPs urge GovernmentThere is mounting concern that the main parties have not committed themselves to backing whichever option is eventually selected by the Airports Commission
- The Crossrail ripple effect [Subscription]It won’t boost property prices only in areas right by its stations. Nearby neighbourhoods will also benefit
- NHS will save billions if more cycle to work [Subscription]Alcohol and cigarette consumption falls among commuters who start travelling to work by bicycle, according to research that has identified £2.5 billion of NHS savings that would be made if the roads were made safer for cycling.
- Driverless cars should steer us away from HS2 [Subscription]In fifteen years’ time people will want their own way of getting around, not a hugely expensive high-speed railway
- Whitehall in talks on Network Rail break-up [Subscription]Civil servants explore options including a split into regions, selling stations and privatisation
- Easter travel: long delays on trains and roads expectedAround 16 million cars will use the roads, many with no option due to works on railways between London, the North West and Scotland
- Network Rail to be broken up or sold off under restructuringNetwork Rail's £33bn debt pile is dragging the economy further into the red now that it is a public sector company
- Driverless cars an 'opportunity to be grasped' by Midlands automotive sector In a report commissioned by the Society of Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) automotive experts at KPMG have predicted driverless or â€˜connectedâ€™ cars will have a massive impact on UK manufacturing and society as a whole
- Network Rail privatisation to be discussed by government officials in order to shake off debt burdenGovernment officials could meet this week to discuss the potential privatisation and restructuring of Network Rail.
Daily Post (North Wales)
- North Wales 'left out' of European Commission transport funding mapAled Roberts AM fears improvements to the A55 and rail electrification could be jeopardised by the disappearance of the region from the map
- Beth Farhat column: concern is growing on rail franchisesRegional head of the TUC calls for a publicly owned rail net worth that puts people before profit
Newcastle Evening Chronicle
- The North East's lost railway stations tell the story of our region's historyThe changing face of the North East rail map as we reveal the old railway stations of the region which have now closed
- Just £12.5 million allocated to 'revolutionise' rail services in North, Treasury revealsGeorge Osborne accused of making "vague commitments" after it emerges talk about new rail not backed up by cash
- Plans to link up North Wales and Manchester Airport 'blocked', says Arriva Trains WalesExperts say that changes in England mean that the firm will not be able to run regular services to Manchester Airport, which accounts for more Welsh business travellers than any other.
- Police urge care on county motorwaysHeavy rain and poor visibility contributed to several crashes on Lancashire motorways last night and early today.
Bucks Free Press
- HS2: Select committee 'to visit Bucks in May' The committee of MPs hearing evidence on the proposed HS2 railway line are due to visit Buckinghamshire in May, according to an MP.
Doncaster Free Post
- Fares hike for South Yorkshire bus usersPrices on First buses across South Yorkshire are increasing from today.
Other Regional Press
- Major Upgrade Planned For Basingstoke-Reading Train ServicesBasingstoke is going to benefit from the largest train upgrade on the Great Western network in a generation.
- Ghost stations of North Lincolnshire - how many can you remember? THOUSANDS of people travel through North Lincolnshire by train every week.
- MP hopes for 'sense to prevail' over proposed HS2 spurWARRINGTON North’s MP has received confirmation from the transport secretary that her questions on the viability of the HS2 spur through the town were valid during a Westminster Hall debate on Wednesday.
- Pull your finger out and get a move on Eric Pickles tells fellow minister as he enters debate on Wisbech to March rail line re openingIn an open letter released this week Mr Pickles disclosed he has told business minister Greg Clark “it would be helpful if we could bring forward the proposed delivery” of the rail line.
- Smart421 boss hails company’s role in Abellio Greater Anglia’s ‘smart’ ticketingA Suffolk company involved the delivery of “smart ticket” technology which is being adopted by regional rail operator Abellio Greater Anglia has welcomed news of the new facility’s launch later this year.
Other News Sources
- MP slams rail service and says Clacton will be hit with work set to continue to cause disruption over bank holidaysRAIL works will carry on over May’s bank holidays, despite promises by rail bosses that disruptive works would not continue after Easter.
There is mounting concern that the main parties have not committed themselves to backing whichever option is eventually selected by the Airports Commission
Network Rail privatisation to be discussed by government officials in order to shake off debt burden
Government officials could meet this week to discuss the potential privatisation and restructuring of Network Rail.
Aled Roberts AM fears improvements to the A55 and rail electrification could be jeopardised by the disappearance of the region from the map
George Osborne accused of making "vague commitments" after it emerges talk about new rail not backed up by cash
- Sunday, 29 March 2015
- Saturday, 28 March 2015
- Friday, 27 March 2015
- Thursday, 26 March 2015
- Wednesday, 25 March 2015
- Tuesday, 24 March 2015
Conferences & Expo's
- Developing the UK rail network - 4 Mar 2015 - London
- ICE Engineering Underground Space 2015 - 18 Feb 2015 - London
- International Rail Freight Conference - 18-20 March 2015 - Prague
- International Rail Infrastructure and Technology Summit - 18-20 Feb 2015 - Barcelona
- Rail-Tech - 17-19 March 2015 - Netherlands
- Railtex - 12-14 May 2015 - NEC, Birmingham
- Smart Rail - 19/20 May 2015 - Amsterdam
- Transport Asset Management 2014 - 25 Nov 2014 - London
- UK Bus Summit - 12 Feb 2015 - London
- Britain Better Connected - Labour’s Transport Policy Review
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Passenger Transport Executive Group
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport Debate 2011
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Fair Fares Now
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- Gatwick Can Be Quieter
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association
- British Ports Association
- Chamber of Shipping
- Sea and Water
- UKMPG (United Kingdom Major Ports Group)